What is wrong with firestarter?

Johnny Rosenberg gurus.knugum at gmail.com
Wed Aug 27 11:41:37 UTC 2008

2008/8/27 Brian McKee <brian.mckee at gmail.com>

> On Tue, Aug 26, 2008 at 9:05 AM, Knapp <magick.crow at gmail.com> wrote:
> > I read something here about Firestarter not being so good to use. What
> > is the problem with it? I use it and like it so far but don't want to
> > get hacked because of using it over something better.
>
> I recently wrote here that I didn't like firestarter because it didn't
> always do what *I* expected it to do.   I'll freely admit it might be
> *me* that's the issue, not firestarter.  I haven't used it in a while
> so maybe it's even improved.  I do recall having issues with it not
> starting even though the documentation said only the GUI wasn't
> starting - but that was roughly around the release of Dapper.
>
> At the risk of giving an essay response where one line was requested -
> I think there are two points you should keep in mind.
>
> One - You don't need to get to excited about firewalls on a regular
> Ubuntu desktop unless you like experimenting with stuff that isn't
> installed by default.  A firewall stops access to a port - but unless
> there's something running on that port it's a moot point.  That's why
> Ubuntu ships without a running firewall after all.  They only come in
> handy to cover up your mistakes so to speak - if you leave a port open
> by accident (maybe you didn't even know that program you installed
> opened one!) it'll keep it private.  It's not a cure-all.
>
> Two - Never ever trust a firewall without verification!   Like
> backups, if you don't test your firewall, you might as well not have
> one  (because you quite possibly DON'T have one!).
> Learn how to use tools like nmap <http://nmap.org> or `man nmap` and
> Shields Up <https://www.grc.com/x/ne.dll?bh0bkyd2> and interpret what
> they mean.  Then you can use any of the firewall tools with
> confidence, because you KNOW they work.
>
> Brian
>
> If I can ask a related question without creating a new thread, please read
the next sentence, otherwise just ignore me:
Is it correct that, if I just want to configure my firewall once and for
all, I could just install Firestarter (or one of the alternatives), do my
settings and, if my settings are good, uninstall Firestarter (or the
alternative) and never have to use it again, unless I have to change my
settings?
J.R.