[kde 4.1] Re: Desk top missing

Leonard Chatagnier lenc5570 at sbcglobal.net
Thu Aug 21 00:31:27 UTC 2008

--- William Witt <william at witt-family.net> wrote:

> On Wednesday 20 August 2008 08:42:04 Leonard
> Chatagnier wrote:
> > --- NoOp <glgxg at sbcglobal.net> wrote:
> the
> > >
> > > choice,

> with
> > >
> > > KDE

> files
> > >
> > > are

> them
> > >
> > > but

> Have
> just
> copy
> > >
> > > files

> > > non-lightning

> > > desktop

> desktop
> IMO,
> > >
> > > but

> Derek
> > >
> > > can

> > > You really should start a new thread, or refer
> back
> > > to an old one as
> > > this thread specifically refers to "Gnome Desk
> Top".
> > >
> > > But while we're here; in gnome, restoring the
> > > desktop to it's original
> > > state sometimes involves removing the .config
> > > .gnome* folders (actually
> > > renaming them so you can fallback). I don't know
> if
> > > this will work for
> > > you, but I've just tried it on one of my systems
> and
> > > it seems to have
> > > restored the clock back to its fat self (I had
> it
> > > small displaying date
> > > & time) yet kept the icons that I'd installed on
> the
> > > panel (Desktop,
> > > SeaMonkey, etc), so you might give it a try:
> > >
> > > rename ~/.kde4 to ~/x-kde4-x and logout then log
> > > back in. A new .kde4
> > > folder will be created when you log back in. If
> that
> > > doesn't work, then
> > > just delete the new .kde4 folder and rename
> > > x-.kde4-x back to .kde4.
> >
> > Thanks NoOP for the above tip but did get me my
> > Desktop back and the files are still on the file
> > system after the changes were made.
> > First, I mved the .kds4 and logged out, no change.
> > Then mved the .conf and .gnome* and logged out
> also no
> > change.  Finally restored the orig .kde4 and mved
> it
> > out again, logged out with no change; still no
> desktop
> > restored. I'll restore all the originals and
> proceed
> > with Bart's suggestions. I sure thought your
> > suggestion would work and will even reboot before
> > restoring the original files.  Thanks for trying,
> >

> > Leonard Chatagnier
> > lenc5570 at sbcglobal.net
>
> KDE4.0 had a feature to create a plasmoid for every
> item in the Desktop
> folder.  I haven't seen it on any of the KDE4.1
> setups I've used.  You can
> [...]
Ok, Will, how do I do it? I tried right clicking my
desktop, selecting add widgets and selected folder
view then clicked add. I got a rectangular
transparency entitled Home with all the folders and
unhidden files in my Home folder. If I click the
Desktop icon, Dolphin open with the folder Desktop
displayed in an iconic view which is pretty close to
what was once on my desktop.  Not what I want, I want
the orig Desktop iconic view I had up until the power
failure, if it's possible. I'm still not sure I did
what you are talking about, but am sure willing to try
it with more detail on how to do it. Thanks for you
input; appreciate it.

Leonard Chatagnier
lenc5570 at sbcglobal.net