HELP WINDOWS XP

Graham Watkins shellycat.gw at ntlworld.com
Sun Aug 17 09:56:08 UTC 2008

Jake wrote:
> Ok, I've been through this so many times, "you have to press ESC", "Is
> there", well no, its not, can anyone just PLEASE tell me how to
> UNINSTALL Ubuntu, so I can get on Windows XP and re-install Ubuntu to
> dual boot, Please do not tell me that I don't have to uninstall,
> because the fact of the matter is, I really need do, so Please help me..
>
> Help Greatly Appreciated, Jake

> Get Windows Live and get whatever you need, wherever you are. Start
> here.
> <http://www.windowslive.com/default.html?ocid=TXT_TAGLM_WL_Home_082008>
Poor old Jake.  He asked a question - probably the wrong question, and
is now in the middle of a bar fight.

This is the situation as I see it:

If, a) Windows XP partitions cannot be viewed from Linux
    b) Windows XP is not listed in grub
    c)  sudo fdisk -l does not show sda as a FAT or NTFS partition

then the Ubuntu installation has used the whole hard disk and Windows XP
has most likely been overwritten.  It is an ex-operating system, it has
ceased to be.

Jake, I hope you backed up all your data before you started messing with
Ubuntu. The only way to "uninstall" Ubuntu is to use your favourite
partitioning program to repartition and reformat your hard disk and
re-install Windows XP if you still want it.  I don't do Windows any more
but I gather that with the recent versions and crappy re-install disks
provided by OEM vendors, this is no longer a piece of cake.  I wish you
luck, I think you are going to need it.

I don't think Ubuntu should take the blame for this fiasco however.  You
need to do your homework before you embark on any sort of Linux
installation.  I'd advise spending more time with the live CD and
rtfming for a while before trying a hard disk install.  (Not that we had
live CDs when I started out.) Otherwise, buy a pre-installed box if you
can find one.

Despite what has been said here, there is nothing wrong with dual
booting provided the installation is done properly , I did it for years
first with Windows/ Mandrake then Mandriva/ Windows /Ubuntu and finally
Ubuntu/Mandriva until I reached the point where I felt it was more
trouble than it was worth.

I don't think there's much else to be said really.  I'm amazed that
people here have taken so many words over it.

--
Graham Watkins

"To mess up a Linux box, you need to work at it; to mess up your Windows
box, you just need to work on it."
SecurityFocus columnist Scott Granneman.