newbie: getting wireless going on hardy [nope]

jeffrey.berger at mac.com jeffrey.berger at mac.com
Wed Aug 13 20:08:37 UTC 2008

I tried using gksu gedit to edit hosts, but gksu failed to launch (one
of the bugs below, I think).

So I used vi instead, then chown and chgrp.

Still no luck. I'm still getting the "Could not authenticate" error
from Network Manager/Settings

For the record, here's my edited hosts file:

yaza at ubuntu:~$ cat /etc/hosts
127.0.0.1 localhost ubuntu
127.0.1.1 ubuntu

::1 ip6-localhost ip6-loopback
fe00::0 ip6-localnet
ff00::0 ip6-mcastprefix
ff02::1 ip6-allnodes
ff02::2 ip6-allrouters
ff02::3 ip6-allhosts
yaza at ubuntu:~$

Additional info: a fresh install of 8.04 LTS.

There may be a translation from the bugs cited below regarding update-
manager, but I couldn't make the leap.

Any other suggestions?

thnx!
-J