Change from raid to normal

Neil hok.krat at gmail.com
Fri Aug 15 11:15:00 UTC 2008

On 8/15/08, Sean Kim <sean.opal at gmail.com> wrote:
> I have installed Ubuntu 8.04 Server with Raid 1.
> Now, I want to use one hdd for another machine.
> Is there any simple way to make it normal hdd system? without format?
>
> Thank you
> Sean

What raid type is it? A raid 1 disk should be possible, but a RAID 0
disk should not.

If it is raid 0 the data is spread over two disks in blocks. Each disk
has half of the bloks, like so:
disk 1 has blocks 1, 3, 5, 7, 9, 11, 13, 15, 17 and 19
disk 2 has blocks 2, 4, 6, 8, 10 12, 14, 16, 18 and 20

We can make an analogue:
We have a text stored in raid0 with 2 disks.
We have a blocksize of one letter (normally they are way bigger, 128K
is more like it).
The total text is: "Most people still use the outdated os called 'Windows'."
Disk 1 contains: Ms epesilueteotae scle Wnos.
Disk 2 contains: otpol tl s h udtdo ald'idw'

If you use only disk 1 the result would be: "Ms epesilueteotae scle
Wnos." Quite unreadable, don't you think? The PC you would insert this
disk in wouldn't know what to do with the garble of bytes you threw at
it.

To be able to use it properly you may even need to lowformat the disk
using the tools provided by the manufacturer or tools from
http://www.ultimatebootcd.com/ (I had some trouble installing Suse on
a disk that used to be in a fakeraid, and had to use this to really
really clean it because Suse recognised it had been a part of a raid0
system and was protected against it)

Neil
--
There are two kinds of people:
1. People who start their arrays with 1.