UUIDs on drives

Kennneth P. Turvey kt-usenet at squeakydolphin.com
Thu Aug 14 20:07:32 UTC 2008

On Thu, 14 Aug 2008 16:14:59 +0200, Marcin ‘Qrczak’ Kowalczyk wrote:

> Perhaps gparted could be improved by being able to resize the swap
> without changing its UUID. It copied swap contents to the new location,
> very slowly (slower than ext3 contents apparently) — this can definitely
> be improved if it later does simply mkswap. I don't know if it does
> mkswap after copying, I just guess from the fact that the UUID changes.
> Why does it copy swap contents at all? Perhaps it should just mkswap and
> then write back the old UUID.

I just (finished an hour ago) resized my swap partition and moved it,
along with a number of other partitions.  I just ran top and my swap
(identified by UUID) is mounted.

--
Kenneth P. Turvey <kt-usenet at squeakydolphin.com>
http://www.electricsenator.net

  One of the advantages of being disorderly is that one is constantly
  making exciting discoveries.
        -- A. A. Milne