change permitions in user home

William Witt william at witt-family.net
Tue Aug 12 02:13:17 UTC 2008

On Monday 11 August 2008 20:50:13 Doug Pollard wrote:
> Doug Pollard wrote:
> > Robert Holtzman wrote:

> >> I don't recall you stating that you attempted to do the research with no
> >> luck. If I missed that, my apologies. If you didn't state it you should
> >> have. Then I wouldn't have anything to complain about.
> >>
> >> BTW, I've cut a chip or two myself chambering match rifle barrels.
> >> Anything more than .0001-.0002 runout got driven into the ground. I
> >> amassed quite a little forest of them while learning.
> >
> > I first of would like to apologize  to all. I just plain lost it.  Been
> > struggling with this thing  thing august the  4th.  My first post was "
> > Kino problem back then.  I am trying to get some video done and could
> > not capture it and did the job using sudo and was able to capture. I
> > could not use it in  Cinelerra so moved the files into my user home.
> > That was a bad mistake I guess. I started having problems right away..
> > Have been getting frantic to do the video as I have a completion date
> > coming up.  It is to be shown in Sept in a yacht club meeting.
> >    I kept this install of Ubuntu on my first disk and installed Ubuntu
> > on my second hard drive and will be able to work with it there.  That
> > takes the pressure of the straitening out of the permissions problem
> > which I very much want to do for the learning experience if nothing
> > else.  I had gotten in to big a hurry trying different things and needed
> > to back off anyway as I was getting to frustrated to get anything done.
> >    Nobody called me stupid by the way, that was my own  conclusion.
> > Sorry ladies.
> >
> >         Doug
>
>     William Witt  got me straight and everything is working I belieive.
> Another problem I had was I could not save anything to my desk top. That
> is now working.  My reply to, address is still wrong so I am adding to
> it by hand each mail to correct it.  Istill have the problem with Kino
> in that it can't capture raw or dv 1394.   Things are looking much
> better and my blood pressure is coming back into a normal range. I won't
> fool with it any more tonight :-P
>
>                 Doug

For posterities sake, there were several problems:
1)suspected files owned by root from running kino as root to get around
/dev/raw1394 permissions:
sudo chown -R [username]:[username] /home/[username]
2)some how "all users" had write to his home directory so had errors at login:
chmod o-w /home/[username]
3)Many files did not have owner write permission (including ~/Desktop):
chmod -R u+w ~/*
chmod -R u+w ~/.*

The simple answer to the initial question is how to take away write
permissions from "all users" for a single file:
chmod o-w [filename]

Will