SOLUTION: 8.04 LTS hangs on locale

Verde Denim tdldev at gmail.com
Mon Aug 11 21:03:31 UTC 2008

This is from Launchpad... and it worked for me, too.

run the dist-upgrade as recommended. If the process hangs at generating
locales, taking more than 20min for the first one and still not continuing:

chmod 644 /usr/bin/localedef
killall locale-gen

now the process should continue, but throwing a bunch of errors (simply
ignore those). If it still not continues, check whether locale-gen has
really been killed (ps aux|grep locale-gen) and repeat "killall locale-gen"
until it's gone.

When update-manager is done, don't forget to

chmod 755 /usr/bin/localedef

For me, update-manager seemed to be able to finally solve the issue, there
have been no more steps required after the above. But just to be sure:

Reboot to the normal grub option offered (i.e. the latest kernel just
installed), but do not yet login graphically. Instead, press Ctrl-Alt-F1 to
get a text console. Login there, and run

apt-get dist-upgrade
dpkg --configure -a

As just stated, in my case both were done within a second, simply stating
there was nothing to do. Now you can logout here (type "exit" or press
Ctrl-D), return to the graphical console (Alt-F7), and login. You are done.

Jack