Another problem or bug with WUBI (Live CD)

Leonard Chatagnier lenc5570 at sbcglobal.net
Mon Aug 11 05:10:22 UTC 2008

<http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=wubi+%2B%22Could+not+access+the+CD%2C+please+make+sure+other+applications%22>

<https://bugs.launchpad.net/wubi/+bugs?field.searchtext=&orderby=-importance&search=Search&field.status%3Alist=NEW&field.status%3Alist=INCOMPLETE_WITH_RESPONSE&field.status%3Alist=INCOMPLETE_WITHOUT_RESPONSE&field.status%3Alist=CONFIRMED&field.status%3Alist=TRIAGED&field.status%3Alist=INPROGRESS&field.status%3Alist=FIXCOMMITTED&field.assignee=&field.bug_reporter=&field.omit_dupes=on&field.has_patch=&field.has_no_package=>

> Amazing how something so simple can become so
> complicated :-) If I get a
> chance I'll clear 8-10Gb off of my WinXPP drive and
> try to install tomorrow.

This is for the benefit of NoOp and Demetry to verify
that the Ubuntu Hardy live CD Amd 64 version is not
buggy.  I have a reasonably new Gateway 5656GT
computer with an AMD64-X2 6000+ cpu, 500GB HDD, 3 Gig
of ram and 3 GHtz speed. Not bragging; just the facts.
NoOP posed the question if I or someone with a 64 bit
processor could verify that Hardy AMD64 Live CD could
be downloaded, burned to disc and install WUBI on
windows that it would simplify troubleshooting
Demetry's install issues. I installed Ubuntu on my
Vista partition without a hitch and am posting this
reply from it.  The only glitch, if you can call it
that, is when I removed the disc after the initial
install and selected reboot, the machine didn't reboot
but just closed windows until I pushed the blue on/off
button.  The machine then rebooted and completed the
installation.
The live CD was downloaded from Ubuntu's site and the
download md5sum checked against the md5sum listed on
the download site. Used Dolphin to burn the iso with
K3B and examine the files. Using the md5sum.txt file
on the CD to verify the CD files were all correct. I
burned at 8X speed with K3b because I can't select a
slower speed from the drop down window, but it was
slow enough burn to get it done.
Shutdown and started up Vista which haven't use since
Ubuntu install on the machine and updated Vista and AV
definition files before attempting the WUBI install
which took some time. When I closed the DVD drive door
containing the live CD, the program immediately
started up. I clicked the middle screen entry to
install Ubuntu in windows and the process started and
ran without any problem with the only glitch mentioned
above. So, it appears that Demetry has some other
issue with his install of WUBI using the live CD. With
all the screens I had open at one time I can see where
someone with a visual problem can get confused and do
the wrong thing. Hoping Gary and the other gurus on
the list can get Demetry's issues resolved. Maybe
Demetry would have better luck ordering an Ubuntu
AMD84 live CD to use assuming they still can be
ordered.  Glad to help where I can.
The detail is given in hope it might suggest to the
gurus where Demety might have made a misclick or
something that would prevent a good install.

Leonard Chatagnier
lenc5570 at sbcglobal.net