How to install emacs on Kubuntu

Leonard Chatagnier lenc5570 at sbcglobal.net
Mon Aug 11 03:10:29 UTC 2008

--- Grant Edwards <grante at visi.com> wrote:

> I just installed Kubuntu 8.04.1 in order to test
> some drivers
> and apps I maintain, and I'm a little baffled how to
> install
> emacs, or Jed, or svn, or any of several other tools
> I need
> which don't seem to be on the CD.
>
> I've messed about with "Adept Installer" which
> launches from
> the Add/Remove Programs menu entry, but it seems
> only able to
> remove apps not add them. IOW, the only packages it
> knows about
> are the ones that are already installed, and it says
> there are
> no packages available for installation.  I have 905
> packages
> installed out of 905 available.
>
> Then I tried the "Adept Manager" from the system
> menu.  It also
> shows no uninstalled packages.  The "Fetch Updates"
> button does
> nothing.  I tried the Help/Adept-Handbook menu entry
> in Adept,
> and it says there is do document available.
>
> Adept's Help/Get-help-only menu entry causes a
> series of about
> 6 DCOP and Konqueror error dialogs to popup.
>
> Konqueror doesn't seem to have any problems
> accessing sites, so
> I'm confident that networking is set up correctly.
>
> I've so far resisted the temptation to fire up a
> root shell and
> start editing /etc/* and typing apt-get and/or dpkg
> commands.
> In the past when I've done that on Ubuntu systems
> I've been
> roundly scolded for not using the pointy-clicky
> system
> administration utilities like I'm supposed to. :)
>
> Google has found me several tutorials that all
> basically tell
> me to:
>
>   1) Mouse to K/System/Adept
>
>   2) Type the program name in the "search" box
>
>   3) Click on one of the packages that is found and
> check
>      "request install"
>
> The problem is that Adept can't seem to find
> anything that
> isn't already installed.
>
> What am I doing wrong?

Hey Grant, I'm certainly not expert but it sounds to
me that you don't have /etc/apt/sources list set up on
your pc which should have been set up on the install
unless you missed it or clicked the wrong button
during install. First check the file
/etc/apt/sources.list and I'll bet it just has entries
for  the CD.  If that's the case, you can copy or
download a ubuntu sources.list by googling for "ubuntu
hardy sources.list" or similar and copy it to your
/etc/apt/sources.list file.  There's also a gui in the
K menu probably with "sources" in the menu name that
will allow you to activate the various sources.  You
must be first time user or you would probably know all
this. I'd give you the exact K menu process but I'm on
a wubu install of pure ubuntu in a window OS.
However, it should be under Kmenu->system->software
sources where you can activate all the sources. You
can also activate the sources using synaptic package
manager and also using adept package manager if memory
serve me correctly.
What I don't know is if the programs you need are in
the usual repositories but thank you for your work.
I'd activate all the repos you can, do an update and
then search for you programs.  If they are in the
repos you'll find them.  Try using synaptic to do all
this first try and good luck. Just launch synaptic
package manager, type in your passwork, and when it
loads click on settings then repositories and a a
popup will open with several tabs. Just activate
everything, then update, then search for what you
want.
HTH,

Leonard Chatagnier
lenc5570 at sbcglobal.net