e2fsck causing apt-get warnings

Santanu Chatterjee thisissantanu at gmail.com
Sun Aug 10 20:38:13 UTC 2008

On Mon, Aug 11, 2008 at 1:36 AM, sktsee <sktsee at tulsaconnect.com> wrote:

> It sounds like the /var/lib/dpkg/info directory got hosed. All of the
> information about a package's file list, md5sums, install/remove scripts,
> debconf templates are stored in that directory. There's no easy way that
> I know of to have dpkg "regenerate" the lost files without reinstalling
> the packages since those files are contained in the software's deb
> archive.

Ah! Thanks. Now I understand the problem more fully... and unfortunately, this
also means that I understand that reinstalling those packages is the
only solution in this case :-(

> You could probably restore some of the files from lost+found, but that
> entails examing the contents of the file to determine what kind of data
> it contains (file list, md5sum, post-install script, etc.) and which
> package it belongs too. Time consuming, unless you can script it.
>
> If you haven't cleaned out your apt archive cache, then a lot of the
> installed packages are still present on your system. Apt can reinstall
> from cache and won't have to fetch them from a repository.

Already tried, without much success (see my last two posts to this thread).

> Obviously though, the best way to recover those missing files would be to
> restore them from backup :)

I wish I were a bit more disciplined with backups :-(

Anyways, thanks again.

Regards
Santanu Chatterjee