nvidia restricted starts in save mode only

Michael Vogt quickmike at gmail.com
Sun Aug 10 12:41:33 UTC 2008

HI James.

> I don't see anything saying how our friend installed the driver. It may well
> have been via synaptic. I'd suggest trying the envy install script at
> http://albertomilone.com/nvidia_scripts1.html

I think, originaly I installed the driver by enabling it in the
Hardware Drivers dialog. Which, as I said, worked at the beginning.

After the problem came up, I had installed Envy NG. The driver works,
but I have the impression, that it works software only, and does not
use the 3D capabilities of the graphics card. Applications like Google
Earth is extremely slow.

I do not see any difference with this driver and the vesa driver. With
the advantage that with the vesa driver, suspend works.

With the restricted driver, I expect much faster display.

Greetings,
Michael