HELP WINDOWS XP

Mark Kirkwood markir at paradise.net.nz
Sun Aug 10 00:29:23 UTC 2008

Smoot Carl-Mitchell wrote:
> A couple of points on the discussion in this thread.
>
> The Ubuntu install process is very good and seems to improve with each
> iteration.  In many ways it is easier than installing Windows from
> scratch.  Windows has an advantage in the market because most users do
> not install the OS - it comes prepackaged from an OEM vendor.  A user
> who is intimidated by the installation process should probably buy a
> computer from an OEM vendor with GNU/Linux preinstalled.  The Ubuntu
> support page also seems to have a list of OEM vendors and support
> organizations:
>
> http://webapps.ubuntu.com/marketplace/northernamerica
>
> For Ubuntu and Linux to penetrate the mainstream market, it is important
> the support ecosystem be as strong as possible.  We cannot expect all
> new users to come to Linux via installing the OS themselves. Windows
> would have never achieved its market dominance without its channel
> partners and OEM relationships.  Of course once they became the dominant
> desktop OS, they illegally leveraged their monopoly to shutout other
> vendors offering alternative systems, but that is another story.

I think these are the keys points.

It is easy to forget that few (if any) newbie users actually install
windows.

You guys might find this little anecdotal story interesting. About 2
years ago I installed a pc for my mother running Linux (Gentoo actually
- might switch it to Ubuntu soon ... but thats another story). Now she
could not do a Gentoo install herself! (it is a reasonably complex
install!), but she has no trouble *using* the Gnome desktop, and likes
Firefox and Thunderbird. She also is quite happy extracting off digital
photos from a camera via gtkam (she probably does other stuff, but I
can't recall right now).

In fact I think she adapted better than many more experienced computer
users (she had used a Mac with OSX10.4 previously) - maybe Gnome is more
similar to OSX/Aqua than it is to Windows... But critical to the success
was the fact that she knew that if she encountered anything she did not
understand - then she could call me (I wondered if I'd get deluged with
calls, but I received very few in fact).

And the point of this little ramble? Just to confirm - ease of install
is obviously important (in fact Ubuntu is very easy to install), but
many folks will get someone *else* to install it for them regardless!
And also, yeah quality of support is vital. I guess too that I'm
thinking that "quality of support" need not, and perhaps should not mean
the same as it does in the windows world. Things like this list, and
good online docs may mean that in fact our support *is* already very
good (being a recent Ubuntu user, I have not checked out the online docs
very much, so not sure what they are like).

Of course like all open source os's, we are a little at the mercy of
hardware vendors with respect to device support, and odd quirks (laptop
suspend/resume being the most obvious manifestation of this). I think
Ubuntu does pretty well here (I started using it as neither Freebsd nor
Gentoo would resume properly on my Asus proj31) - but clearly there is
still hardware that foxes it - this is an ongoing challenge, hopefully
things should improve as vendors get more interested in supporting or
contributing to the various open source os's (e.g. ATI's change of
attitude after being bought by AMD - should see better Radeon support
coming in the near future).

regards

Mark