HELP WINDOWS XP

Chris racerx at makeworld.com
Sat Aug 9 12:58:42 UTC 2008

On Sat, 09 Aug 2008 13:57:38 +0800
Chris Jeffries <chris at candm.org.uk> wrote:

> The approachability of Ubuntu by new users is crucial to success. The
> open software project will not succeed if it cannot get 'Joe Public'
> on board without fuss. Even though I am a literate computer user
> myself (since 1964), my mate who often asks my help is not, so I am
> going to reference his responses to my experience as well as my own.

*** Snipped to get to the point ***

Chris and others, while I understand your suggestions and agree with
some, first and for most I think that Ubu (and the whole Distro
community) needs to finally decide is;

Is Ubu going to be THE Linux entry point for your mentioned users.
If the distro community can agree to that one basic point, then and
only then should all attempts be made to "dumb-down" (for lack of a
better word) Ubu while leaving the other distros to continue to
support the "clued" users.

If the above is globally recognized, then the other distros should be
pushing Ubu on the sites something like this:

New to Linux? We suggest using Ubuntu, Click here. Ready to move
beyond Ubuntu? Welcome blah blah blah.

Let everyone know that Ubu IS the Linux to be used as a jumping off
point. In fact, demand it!

One of the reasons I "left" the BSD (FreeBSD to be direct) community is
much of the same discussion. How "User friendly" can FreeBSD be made.
And with that sort of indulgence, adds bloat and features that
are not needed by the larger user base as a whole.

I know that many of you here on this list have at least used
FreeBSD (and I know many still do) can agree - that there are some OS's
that ought to be left alone (meaning, newbs and limited *nix knowledged
users should at all costs, be steered away to something else).

Just an idea while reading Chris' ideas.

--
Best regards,

Chris

	"There's no place like 127.0.0.1"