Unable to use Ubuntu 8.04 live CD

Jerry Alber jalber at kitcarson.net
Sat Aug 9 20:09:58 UTC 2008

Jerry Alber wrote:
> NoOp wrote:

>>> NoOp,
>>>
>>> Thanks for your very quick reply!
>>> I checked /var/crash and there was nothing there. I also checked
>>> /var/log/xorg.0.log. It was there and very long but I am not sure
>>> exactly what I should be looking for.
>>>
>>> I can get in by using "Failsafe GNOME".
>>>

>> Cool! That means that gdm is probably having fits with your graphics
>> card/driver.
>>
>> I also used Ctrl-Alt-F1 to get
>>
>>> into that TTY. I logged in and then typed "startx". It said "Server is
>>> already active for display 0. If this server is no longer running,
>>> remove /tmp/.X0-lock and try again. I removed the lock and did startx.
>>> It started and I got the regular GUI screen with the 2 panels - top and
>>> bottom.
>>>

>> That's normal & cool again! Just logout of the tty (or use 'exit') and
>> use Ctrl-Alt-F7 after exit. That will take you back to the login screen
>> or your gdm session depending upon when you exited gdm to to tty.
>>

>>> It seems to work as it should unless I go back to Ctrl-Alt-F1 which
>>> takes me to that TTY screen, but when I go to Ctrl-Alt-F7 which should
>>> take me back to the GUI I just left, I get the login screen instead.
>>>

>> That's not normal, but it might be because you are still having problem
>> with your graphics - so put that one on the back burner for now.
>>
>> If
>>
>>> I log in, it goes no where and I just sit there with an orange screen.
>>>
>>> Interesting.
>>>

>> OK, now that you are in gdm mode, open a terminal and:
>>
>> sudo dpkg-reconfigure -phigh xserver-xorg
>>
>> log out and try to log back in normally by setting the session to
>> "GNOME" and see if that works. Your resolution might be off & if it
>> causes you to not see the panels, use: Alt-F2 and enter:
>> gnome-display-properties
>> and see if you can set your proper resolution. If that doesn't work, use
>> Alt-F2 again and enter: gksu displayconfig-gtk
>> and try to set the screens from there. Note: click the "Graphics Card"
>> tab & see if your GC driver looks correct. If not don't do anything yet,
>> just post back on what it shows.
>>
>> If it still gives you fits, set the session back to "Failsafe GNOME" and
>> log back in.
>>
>> I think we are getting closer... as I see it, this is a graphics
>> card/driver gdm issue, & again _thanks_ for your patience in testing all
>> of this. If we can peg down your problem(s) then you can post on your
>> launchpad thread & hopefully help others & the developers modify the
>> install CD's.
>>

> NoOp,
>
> Did you get my email that I sent on the 5th? Just incase, I am
> repeating it below. Once I use startx in the Ubuntu Alternate CD, I
> checked the logs and it seems to recognize the Raedon graphics card
> and the LCD monitor that I am using. If you are too busy right now to
> deal with this problem since I can see by the number of times your
> [...]
NoOp,

Sorry, but I probably deleted the "I did reply" email by mistake. I am
staying with the whole email list just in case there might be someone
else with a similar problem.

I did: Alt-F2 gksu displayconfig-gtk, but couldnot find the correct
monitor or graphics card. I tried quite a few choices, but when I use
the "test" button, I got nothing but a screen full of lines and it would
go no further. So I had to reject my choices before the timer ran out
which would chose my setup.

I had read where someone else, who had the same problem who replaced the
"new and improved" xorg.conf file with a version before Ubuntu 8.04, and
it worked. I have not done that yet, but what I did do was to install
Kubuntu's desktop which then gave me a KDE choice in the "options". That
worked with no problems. I took a look at the xorg.conf file and the
choices it made were some of the very ones I had chosen before, but
would not work in Gnome. So far, the only way to be able to work in
Gnome is to start with runlevel 3 and then go to startx. If I do that, I
have no problems with Gnome at all.

At least I got it working in KDE but I would still like to know what's
going on with Gnome.

Take care,
Jerry

PS. This time, I'll try not to delete your response :-[