ISO boot of latest 8.04

Derek Broughton news at pointerstop.ca
Thu Aug 7 15:17:17 UTC 2008

Verde Denim wrote:

> I have the 8.04 i386 desktop iso. I'm currently installing win on the box,
> just to see if it's hardware. This same error has been reported in
> launchpad (and apparently hasn't been dealt with yet, since I read a few
> instances of this). I've the various workarounds (pcmcia=nomsi, ide=nodma,
> remove the splash) but no joy there either. I'll check the md5 of the iso
> file on my other ubu box and see what that brings, although i've burned
> three different downloads from three different mirrors, and they all say
> they have defective files on the cd - using different burners. It's
> beginning to make me wonder about the iso being distributed.

Ta Da!  Really, how can you possibly hope to install from defective media?
In this case, I can practically guarantee that it _is_ your media.  My last
install from my own media left me with three bad CDs before I finally gave
up and wrote the image to a _DVD_.  The iso size pushes the limits of
what's possible with a CD, and cheap media can't handle it.  It's cheaper
for me to use 10% of a DVD to hold the image than to burn 10 CDs in the
hope that _one_ of them will work.
--
derek