ISO boot of latest 8.04

Gilles Gravier gilles at gravier.org
Thu Aug 7 14:44:22 UTC 2008

Hi!
Verde Denim wrote:

> On Thu, Aug 7, 2008 at 10:26 AM, Verde Denim <tdldev at gmail.com
> <mailto:tdldev at gmail.com>> wrote:
>

>     On Thu, Aug 7, 2008 at 10:04 AM, Verde Denim <tdldev at gmail.com
>     <mailto:tdldev at gmail.com>> wrote:
>

>         On Thu, Aug 7, 2008 at 9:51 AM, elmo <elmo at ne.rr.com
>         <mailto:elmo at ne.rr.com>> wrote:
>
>             Verde Denim wrote:
>             > I thought I saw another thread on this, but haven't been
>             able to locate
>             > it...
>             >
>             > I burned an iso image of 8.04 today, and when selecting
>             'Install', I'm
>             > getting a long list of errors such as
>             > SQUASHFS error: sb_bread failed at ...   And Buffer I/O
>             error at device sr0
>             >
>             > Is this the iso or is this pointing to a different problem?
>             >
>             > Thanks for any input...
>             >
>             > Jack
>             >
>             >
>             Could you describe exactly how you "burned the iso image" ?
>             Did you copy the iso to a disk or did you use a CD burner
>             that has a burn
>             iso inage function?
>

>         Used Nero - burn an image file to disc function -
>         The first time at highest speed. After reading the Launchpad
>         reports (see Steve's reply), I burned another disc at 4x. I'm
>         trying the disc burned at the slower speed now.
>

>     Update: No joy. Same errors (SQUASHFS and I/O errors).
>

> Update 2: I shut off the splash to see the messages - as soon as the
> boot sequence loads squashfs (dated October, 2007) the install borks -
> sarts throwing the same errors I've seen before. I think there is
> something wrong with the 8.04 iso on the Ubu site. Does anyone know
> where I can get an iso of 7.10? If that would work, I can always do
> the dist-upgrade to get to the latest release...
The ISO works fine. Check the MD5 hash of your ISO... and compare to
what the site says.

If you have the 8.04.1 i368 desktop, your MD5 hash should be :
c69e34e92d5402d1b87e6babc739f774

You may be having other problems. How much RAM does your system have?

Have you tried downloading the "alternate" CD? Works with smaller, and
sometimes more exotic machines.

Gilles.

--
/*Gilles Gravier*/ *=* *Gilles at Gravier.org* <mailto:Gilles at Gravier.org>
ICQ : *77488526*