installing kde/kubuntu over gnome/ubuntu

Mario Vukelic mario.vukelic at dantian.org
Thu Aug 7 05:48:08 UTC 2008

On Wed, 2008-08-06 at 23:52 -0500, Mumia W. wrote:
> On 08/06/2008 05:15 PM, Leonard Chatagnier wrote:
> > All you need to do is install kubuntu-desktop. [...]
>
> Couldn't he just install the 'kde' package?

"kde" installs KDE, "kubuntu-desktop" installs the Kubuntu-specific
parts along with that. Given that Kubuntu adds some more polish, I'd go
with kubuntu-desktop.

aptitude show kde
This metapackage includes all the official modules released with KDE
that are not specific to development. In addition to the core KDE
modules, this includes multimedia, networking, personal information
manager (PIM), graphics, education, games, web development, system
administration tools, and other artwork and utilities.

aptitude show kubuntu-desktop
This package depends on all of the packages in the Kubuntu desktop
system. Installing this package will include the default Kubuntu KDE
installation. It is safe to remove this package if some of the desktop
system packages are not desired.