installation-guide-i386: Etch floppy installer says need >=32MB RAM but not mentioned in guide

Volker Paul volker.paul at v-paul.de
Wed Aug 6 21:27:18 UTC 2008

Package: installation-guide-i386
Severity: normal

Trying to install Debian on a 486 with 8MB RAM, it stalls loading root
floppy. Re-trying boot floppy, pressing F1, then F2, I found out
that "You must have at least 32 megabytes of RAM to use this Debian
installer."
It's a pity that Debian won't install on such old machines,
but it's annoying to find out about that only by trying to install.
This limit should be mentioned in the installation-guide so other users
like me don't have to try but directly choose another distribution.

The system I tried to install on is a
Dynabook GT 475 laptop, 8 MB RAM, no CD-ROM drive, no USB,
but with PCMCIA.

Forget the system info below, this is my working machine.

-- System Information:
Debian Release: lenny/sid
  APT prefers gutsy-updates
  APT policy: (500, 'gutsy-updates'), (500, 'gutsy-security'), (500, 'gutsy')
Architecture: i386 (i686)

Kernel: Linux 2.6.22-14-generic (SMP w/1 CPU core)
Locale: LANG=en_US.UTF-8, LC_CTYPE=en_US.UTF-8 (charmap=UTF-8)
Shell: /bin/sh linked to /bin/dash