Wireless Network Key

Arthur H. Johnson II arthur.johnson at gmail.com
Wed Aug 6 21:33:10 UTC 2008

Mark Haney wrote:
> Chris Jones wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>

>>> Again, my point here is, if you get user access to Ubuntu, you can get
>>> root with no trouble.  Therein is one of those gotchas with Ubuntu.
>>>
>> Only for users with sudo rights. Not all users have this, only the first
>> user by default (and even that can be changed).
>>

> True.  But the security threat still applies here.
>

>>> Maybe we're arguing both sides of the same coin, but the fact is, I
>>> offered that as a solution that will work with the obvious caveat thrown
>>> in.  I have wireless on several systems without X on them, so NM won't
>>> help me in that case.
>>>
>> I believe the NM team are addressing this, i.e they are working on (or
>> perahps have already released...) a version that will work without
>> needing a user logged in, or even X.
>>

> Maybe so, but I've moved on from it.  I much prefer command line for
> this anyway.  It's what I'm used to. I can type faster than I can point
> and click.
>

>> Chris

Well, to add fuel to the fire, I have to agree with Mark.  My laptop
moves from network to network in my busy day as a sysadmin.  Its much
easier for me to open a terminal and execute one of 11 shell scripts to
connect to wherever I'm sitting.  Plus, its easy to set up a new network
by using an old script as a template.

I had to remove the network manager from /etc/dbus-1/ to keep Firefox
from constantly starting offline.