Wireless Network Key

Mark Haney mhaney at ercbroadband.org
Wed Aug 6 18:32:08 UTC 2008

Chris Jones wrote:
> Hi,
>
>> Again, my point here is, if you get user access to Ubuntu, you can get
>> root with no trouble.  Therein is one of those gotchas with Ubuntu.
>
> Only for users with sudo rights. Not all users have this, only the first
> user by default (and even that can be changed).

True.  But the security threat still applies here.

>> Maybe we're arguing both sides of the same coin, but the fact is, I
>> offered that as a solution that will work with the obvious caveat thrown
>> in.  I have wireless on several systems without X on them, so NM won't
>> help me in that case.
>
> I believe the NM team are addressing this, i.e they are working on (or
> perahps have already released...) a version that will work without
> needing a user logged in, or even X.

Maybe so, but I've moved on from it.  I much prefer command line for
this anyway.  It's what I'm used to. I can type faster than I can point
and click.

> Chris

Mark Haney
Sr. Systems Administrator
ERC Broadband
(828) 350-2415

Call (866) ERC-7110 for after hours support