[OT] Configuration

Verde Denim tdldev at gmail.com
Wed Aug 6 15:37:20 UTC 2008

On Wed, Aug 6, 2008 at 4:09 AM, Phil Bieber <philbieber at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Tue, Aug 5, 2008 at 19:05, Verde Denim <tdldev at gmail.com> wrote:
> > I have a Dell Dimension 4500 that crashed (HDD) recently. I was able to
> > autopsy the IDE drive running Ubuntu 7.10 and get back the files I wanted
> > (configs mostly).
> > I purchased a SATA card and two SATA drives for the box and want to
> reload
> > with Ubu 8.
> > The problem is that, with the removal of the IDE drive, and installation
> of
> > the SATA hardware, it seems I get nothing but the DELL splash screen.
> I've
> > checked with DELL, but got no usable information from them. Does anyone
> know
> > if there is something on the mobo I need to change in order to at least
> get
> > the Ubu CD to run?
> >
> > Thanks for any assistance you can provide
> >
> > Jack
>
> Hi!
> I can think of 2 reasons,
> 1) the card / drives have to be included in the BIOS.
> 2) there are no suitable drivers for the SATA card.
> Try the BIOS and if that doesn't help, google the card's name/model +
> ubuntu hardy and see what you can find. Also, post the name/model to
> the list, maybe somebody has something else to tell you about it.

Phil~
Thanks for the reply. It turns out I was able to find a single entry on the
web for this - but it's good news - "(PCI-SA-112E in specific, which has the
Sil 3512 chipset) & it seems as though OS doesnt like booting from a drive
on this card after it progresses from grub (Even though it works like a
champ on Ubuntu 8.04)"  - and the card was cheap (under $20).

I pulled the card and the IDE cable from the mobo and it will boot the Ubu
CD. I'm not sure if I could install the drivers in the LiveCD env or not
(might be worth a try), but short of that, this box will probably need an
IDE drive to install 8.04 and the drivers. A bit of a catch-22, but I dug up
an old IDE drive that I'm checking now to update the badblock table. If it's
runnable I'll try loading 8.04 there, install the drivers and then
installing Ubuntu onto one of the SATA drives and see if a reboot without
the IDE works (I'll also upgrade the BIOS to the latest version to see if
that helps)

Jack