[OT] Configuration

Phil Bieber philbieber at gmail.com
Wed Aug 6 08:09:48 UTC 2008

On Tue, Aug 5, 2008 at 19:05, Verde Denim <tdldev at gmail.com> wrote:
> I have a Dell Dimension 4500 that crashed (HDD) recently. I was able to
> autopsy the IDE drive running Ubuntu 7.10 and get back the files I wanted
> (configs mostly).
> I purchased a SATA card and two SATA drives for the box and want to reload
> with Ubu 8.
> The problem is that, with the removal of the IDE drive, and installation of
> the SATA hardware, it seems I get nothing but the DELL splash screen. I've
> checked with DELL, but got no usable information from them. Does anyone know
> if there is something on the mobo I need to change in order to at least get
> the Ubu CD to run?
>
> Thanks for any assistance you can provide
>
> Jack

Hi!
I can think of 2 reasons,
1) the card / drives have to be included in the BIOS.
2) there are no suitable drivers for the SATA card.
Try the BIOS and if that doesn't help, google the card's name/model +
ubuntu hardy and see what you can find. Also, post the name/model to
the list, maybe somebody has something else to tell you about it.

Cheers
Phil Bieber
--
Monday is an awful way to spend 1/7th of your life.

Atheism is a non-prophet organization.

GPG KEY ID (Philipp Bieber): 0x0185E301
FINGERPRINT: CA81 28C2 E63F DAF8 5ED4 DACB 7C26 EE5B 0185 E301
Phil Bieber - philbieber at gmail.com