nfs mount not working

Mark Haney mhaney at ercbroadband.org
Tue Aug 5 20:05:39 UTC 2008

Donny George wrote:
> hello
>
> i have been trying to set up an nfs mount on a server and client machines
> which is running on ubuntu 8.04 32 bit version. I have followed the forums
> for this
>
> edited the /etc/exports on server
>
> /home/tmp 192.168.1.24(rw,no_root_squash,async)
>

> and modified the /etc/fstab as
>
>   server.mydomain.com:/files /files nfs rsize=8192,wsize=8192,timeo=14,intr
>

> restarted all the necessary services and stil, it doesnt allow the client to
> modify the contents of the mounted folder.
>

> have i set the permissions right or am i doing it completely wrong. could
> some one guide me how i cud successfully get this going.
>

> thnx for the help in advance
>
> donny

Sounds to me like the user doesn't have the rights to modify the files
in that directory.  Remember, just because the NFS mount is RW doesn't
mean that automatically gives the user the correct file permissions.
What does an 'ls -l' show on that mount from that user account?

Mark Haney
Sr. Systems Administrator
ERC Broadband
(828) 350-2415

Call (866) ERC-7110 for after hours support