ubuntu server

Michael Varre mvarre at gmail.com
Tue Aug 5 16:53:50 UTC 2008

Derek, the primary difference between Ubuntu Server Edition and Desktop
Edition is the fact that Server doesnt come with all the extra junk Desktop
does, out of the box at least. They are pretty much the same just without
"end user" type things such as productivity tools and X and give the ability
to install LAMP during install.

All that functionality can easily be installed after the server install is
complete - however its just not done by default.

On Tue, Aug 5, 2008 at 11:39 AM, Derek Broughton <news at pointerstop.ca>wrote:

> Mark Haney wrote:

> was
> in
> >
> > As far as I'm concerned the only difference between a linux /server/
> > version and a linux /desktop/ version (of /any/ distro) is that most of
> > the multimedia, desktop applications aren't included in the server
> > version.  That has been the case with RHEL, Ubuntu, Suse, etc.  Unless
> > it's an 'Enterprise', pay for version, the packages will be same.  The
> > Enterprise versions that you typically pay for (like RHEL) the packages
> > are hardened to the gills and are usually several revs back from the
> > latest version.
> >
> > So, for all practical purposes a desktop version /is/ a sever version +
> > 'insert desktop apps here'.
>
> - and of course, practically, you can assume that since it doesn't have all
> that GUI stuff, it's probably more stable.
>
> I administer a CeNTOS server, that I never cease to wish was Ubuntu...
> --
> derek

mv
315.952.5753