Laptop mode on Hardy

Eddie b lazered at gmail.com
Mon Aug 4 02:53:53 UTC 2008

Hello All,

I am having a problem with Travelmate laptop shutting down on critical
battery, it simply doesn't nor does it give me indication, ie: the
hover-over and clicking on values are never equal (out  from each other
varying from 20 to 35%), the only time they match is when the battery hits
0%. I have enabled laptop tools, it indicated when it is on battery, but the
times never change they remain 99% untill it hits 0%, the click-on value
often sits at 64%, this is on a fully charged battery, I know I get 2.5
hours out of this batery, and the only indication I get its poor is when the
laptops internal criticalbatt amber light flashes.

Now I can live with this to a point, but what I can't live with is it just
dying because the batery can't supply any more power, this as you know is
not good for any filesystem.

I have read many suggestions from google, percentages and settings are
correct from what I can tell in acpi-support and lapt-top tools, but i've
even read that ubuntu " strips the guts out of the debian laptop tools and
doesnt honour many of its settings" to quote a post off one of the myriad
pages of results recommending installing the debian version. I have followed
other suggestions involving gconf-editor, unchecking 1 and 2 of the
settings, but also to no avail.

Has anyone running one of these thing with Hardy actually managed to get it
to work?  Either to shut-off safely, or at least report the correct
percentage and/or time remaining, preferably all threee but I wont push my
luck.

--
Regards,
Eddie