intrepid and nvidia

Carl Karsten carl at personnelware.com
Sun Aug 3 16:30:23 UTC 2008

David Fox wrote:
> On Sat, Aug 2, 2008 at 6:19 PM, Carl Karsten <carl at personnelware.com> wrote:
>
>> Um, not sure.  I have never had to do what i would call 'compile' - like
>> make/make install - but I guess maybe the installer does stuff?  what I did do:
>
> You probably want something like nvidia-kernel-source that matches the
> kernel you installed.
>
> The approach I took basically got nvidia-kernel source,
> nvidia-kernel-common (for the kernel space part of the driver) and
> nvidia-glx (the userspace part) and then did a module-assistant
> auto-install on the nvidia-kernel-source part, and then install the
> nvidia-glx part. It wasn't too difficult to get working early on, and
> worked fairly well (except for minor text glitches, which I still get
> when I initially start X up, but can be done away with by ctrl-alt-F1
> followed by an alt-F7.
>
> Recently, however, I had a system failure and had to reinstall a bunch
> of stuff. I never was able to get the nvidia driver back, so I went
> and downloaded the nvidia 173. driver from nvidia's own site and
> installed that. Now it works, but doesn't (and seemingly can't) start
> on boot. I have to go in and sudo insmod to get the module to load.
>
> Perhaps I'll open up a new message for that.

I searched for  nvidia-kernel-source and found:

https://launchpad.net/ubuntu/intrepid/i386/nvidia-kernel-source-envy
"""
  This package builds the NVIDIA XFree86 4.x/X.Org binary kernel module needed
  by nvidia-glx. This package is not needed on an Ubuntu system because
  a pre-compiled kernel module is supplied by the linux-restricted-modules
  packages.
"""

I installed linux-restricted-modules -

https://launchpad.net/ubuntu/intrepid/i386/linux-restricted-modules-2.6.26-5-generic/2.6.26-5.11

shouldn't that do it?

I also tried:

carl at dv67:~$ sudo modprobe nvidia
[sudo] password for carl:
FATAL: Error running install command for nvidia

any idea where I can see more details?

Carl K