How to upgrade KDE 4.0 apps to KDE 4.1 on Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy

Mario Vukelic mario.vukelic at dantian.org
Sat Aug 2 11:59:16 UTC 2008

On Sat, 2008-08-02 at 14:06 +0530, Ashish Yadav wrote:
> I am using Ubuntu 8.04 and have various KDE 4.0 apps installed like
> Kate, Konsole, Dolphin along with KDE libs 4.0, I want to upgrade them
> to KDE 4.1 versions.
>
> Please remember that I do not want to install whole KDE 4.1 desktop
> but just want to upgrade apps what I already have.

Upon rereading, I would want to offer this in addition to the other mail
I just sent [1]

If you really just want to upgrade kate, konsole, dolphin, and some
others, maybe it would help to uninstall the meta-package
"kubuntu-desktop" first. When this was upgraded to a 4.1 version it
would certainly upgrade _everything_ to 4.1.

After removing kubuntu-desktop, add the new ppa repo, then "sudo
aptitude update" and "aptitude --simulate full-upgrade". The --simulate
option just prints what would happen, but does nothing. If you are happy
with the results, you can run the same command with sudo and without
--simulate.

What I would expect (or hope) to happen is that everything that is
installed gets upgraded and pulls in any needed dependencies. The fact
that kubuntu-desktop is not upgraded will prevent anything from
upgrading that is not already installed or depended on.

Whether that in fact happens remains to be seen. However, I still am
puzzled by why you would want to do this.

Thanks in advance for clarification

[1] Though it still would be nice if you could clear up the areas were I
don't understand your goal in that other mail. :)