playing XviD files

POWERS, ZACK zpowers at umflint.edu
Fri Aug 1 22:42:58 UTC 2008

-----Original Message-----
From: ubuntu-users-bounces at lists.ubuntu.com on behalf of POWERS, ZACK
Sent: Fri 8/1/2008 6:40 PM
To: Ubuntu user technical support,not for general discussions
Subject: RE: playing XviD files

-----Original Message-----
From: ubuntu-users-bounces at lists.ubuntu.com on behalf of Gary
Kirkpatrick
Sent: Fri 8/1/2008 6:27 PM
To: Ubuntu user technical support,not for general discussions

On Fri, Aug 1, 2008 at 6:21 PM, Gary Kirkpatrick <pegngary at gmail.com>
wrote:

> On Fri, Aug 1, 2008 at 6:11 PM, Karl Larsen <k5di at zianet.com> wrote:
>
>> Gary Kirkpatrick wrote:
>> > Is it possible to play Xvid files in unbuntu?
>> >
>> > I tried vlc, totem and real player to no avail.
>> >
>> > Thanks
>> >

>>     According to Google Xvid is a new mp3 type of file compression
>> software. No time to look further but it is open source so the
codex
>> should be free and easy to get. You need to install it before VLC
can
>> work.
>>
>> Karl
>>

>> --
>>
>>        Karl F. Larsen, AKA K5DI
>>        Linux User
>>        #450462   http://counter.li.org.
>>   PGP 4208 4D6E 595F 22B9 FF1C  ECB6 4A3C 2C54 FE23 53A7
>>

>> --
>>

> I've tried to find a download without success.  Let me know if you
find
> one.  No success using synaptic- there seems to be something there
but you
> can't install it, I get an error message when I try.
>
> Gary
>

>I found xvid.org.  The debian page makes no sense to me, the SUSE
makes more
>sense but not sure if download xvid SUSE is the proper thing to do.

>Hi,
>Media file compressed with the XviD codecs follow the MPEG4 standard.
They can be played back using the libvxvidcore4 package. However it is
better >to intall this package with the gstreamer codecs library. I am
not exactly sure which gstreamer package contains XviD library as a
dependency but I >think it is the gstreamer0.10-ffmpeg package.

I'm sorry but the actual package is the
gstreamer0.10-plugins-bad-multiverse package. I apologize for the
confusion. Be aware depending on you local laws, installing this
package may be illegal.