playing XviD files

POWERS, ZACK zpowers at umflint.edu
Fri Aug 1 22:40:04 UTC 2008

-----Original Message-----
From: ubuntu-users-bounces at lists.ubuntu.com on behalf of Gary
Kirkpatrick
Sent: Fri 8/1/2008 6:27 PM
To: Ubuntu user technical support,not for general discussions
Subject: Re: playing XviD files

On Fri, Aug 1, 2008 at 6:21 PM, Gary Kirkpatrick <pegngary at gmail.com>
wrote:

> On Fri, Aug 1, 2008 at 6:11 PM, Karl Larsen <k5di at zianet.com> wrote:
>
>> Gary Kirkpatrick wrote:
>> > Is it possible to play Xvid files in unbuntu?
>> >
>> > I tried vlc, totem and real player to no avail.
>> >
>> > Thanks
>> >

>>     According to Google Xvid is a new mp3 type of file compression
>> software. No time to look further but it is open source so the
codex
>> should be free and easy to get. You need to install it before VLC
can
>> work.
>>
>> Karl
>>

>> --
>>
>>        Karl F. Larsen, AKA K5DI
>>        Linux User
>>        #450462   http://counter.li.org.
>>   PGP 4208 4D6E 595F 22B9 FF1C  ECB6 4A3C 2C54 FE23 53A7
>>

>> --
>>

> I've tried to find a download without success.  Let me know if you
find
> one.  No success using synaptic- there seems to be something there
but you
> can't install it, I get an error message when I try.
>
> Gary
>

>I found xvid.org.  The debian page makes no sense to me, the SUSE
makes more
>sense but not sure if download xvid SUSE is the proper thing to do.

Hi,
Media file compressed with the XviD codecs follow the MPEG4 standard.
They can be played back using the libvxvidcore4 package. However it is
better to intall this package with the gstreamer codecs library. I am
not exactly sure which gstreamer package contains XviD library as a
dependency but I think it is the gstreamer0.10-ffmpeg package.