No subject

Bart Silverstrim bsilver at chrononomicon.com
Tue Apr 29 13:06:15 UTC 2008

PEDRO MACANAS VALVERDE wrote:

> De: Bart Silverstrim Enviado el: lun 28/04/2008 17:01 Para: Ubuntu
> user technical support,not for general discussions Asunto: Re:
>

> Jeff Robertson wrote:
>

>>> I am considering buying a new Dell laptop in a couple months.  I
>>> am fed up
>> with Windows and especially the crap they call "Vista".  Dell now
>> offers new laptops with Ubuntu installed as the OS.  I would love
>> to learn and use Ubuntu but I am worried some of my software won't
>> work.  I have MS Office, Acrobat 7, PhotoshopCS IllustratotCS2 and
>> Frontpage.
>
>> There are lists that give similar and equivalent OSS programs
>
> Yes,  donĀ“t worry about it. Buying a laptop with Ubuntu preinstalled
> is a good option  You can obtain free programs equivalents in Linux
> that are better than similar ones in Windows (and the best: they are
> free - gratis and libre - ). And they are included in Ubuntu.
>
> So, you have done a good choice.

I only gave the warning I did (using VMWare, etc.) because I work with
supporting users and I KNOW that there are people who fully expect to
use Photoshop or Office on Linux, as if the operating system was just a
Lego block they can switch around because they don't like the way it
looks or crashes or whatever is annoying them.

Many many many users don't understand the distinction between a word
processor and Word (and they don't care to understand, either).  Schools
here don't teach word processing, they teach MS Office.  Change the word
processor (brand or version, in many cases) and the staff and students
freak out and are totally lost.  I've seen many cases where they don't
even know how to google for a feature they're trying to find on the
"different" (such as OpenOffice) platform.

So that's why I said if he wants Photoshop or MS Office, he's better off
using emulation...or he could switch to the Mac.  If he's looking for
image editing and word processing, Linux has Gimp (among others) and
OpenOffice.  But no one on the list should assume they can hand a new
user taking tentative steps into Lake Ubuntu and they'll be happy with
the fact they can't take all their specific applications with them.
Just something to keep in mind.