No subject

Raseel Bhagat raseelbhagat at gmail.com
Tue Apr 29 09:13:52 UTC 2008

Hi,

On Mon, Apr 28, 2008 at 8:27 PM, Jeff Robertson <jrob79 at gmail.com> wrote:

> I am considering buying a new Dell laptop in a couple months.  I am fed up
> with Windows and especially the crap they call "Vista".  Dell now offers new
> laptops with Ubuntu installed as the OS.  I would love to learn and use
> Ubuntu but I am worried some of my software won't work.  I have MS Office,
> Acrobat 7, PhotoshopCS IllustratotCS2 and Frontpage.

I think it's great that you have decided to go for a Ubuntu machine.
All the softwars you mentuioned above have a open source counterpart which
usually works just as well.
To add to the above, a program called Wine is known to run MSOffice2000 and
PSCS2 (in fact, I think even PS CS3) under Linux. As for Acrobat, if you are
talking about the reader, I'm currently using Acrobat Reader 8 on Ubuntu.
And finally, there are lots of good WYSIWYG Web Editors and IDEs in Linux. I
think FrontPage's direct substitute can be Kompozer.

So, don't fret, feel free to enter Ubuntu's world.

Thanks,
Raseel
http://raseel.in