No subject

Bart Silverstrim bsilver at chrononomicon.com
Mon Apr 28 15:01:08 UTC 2008

Jeff Robertson wrote:
> I am considering buying a new Dell laptop in a couple months.  I am fed up
> with Windows and especially the crap they call "Vista".  Dell now offers new
> laptops with Ubuntu installed as the OS.  I would love to learn and use
> Ubuntu but I am worried some of my software won't work.  I have MS Office,
> Acrobat 7, PhotoshopCS IllustratotCS2 and Frontpage.

There are lists that give similar and equivalent OSS programs (GIMP
instead of photoshop, for example).  The alternative is to run VMWare
player or server in which you'd run Windows as a virtual machine for
programs you can't live without.

Fact of the matter is that if you need MS Office or Photoshop, you will
need Windows.  If you need a word processor or image editor, you can
move to Linux and climb the learning curve.  Subtle but important
distinction.