Video driver problem on upgrade to Hardy

Paolo paolo2 at taize.fr
Mon Apr 28 10:03:05 UTC 2008

fmfdias wrote:
> But the better solution is to remove the xserver-xgl package from your
> system

Thank you. This has made a big difference.
gxlgears moves from reporting ~50 fps in normal boot to ~1400 fps.

At this stage, it is impossible to enable compiz effects.

I then reinstalled the proprietary fglrx driver
fglrxinfo now reports:

display: :0.0  screen: 0
OpenGL vendor string: ATI Technologies Inc.
OpenGL renderer string: ATI MOBILITY RADEON X300
OpenGL version string: 2.1.7412 Release

and glxgears about 2700 fps !

I do not think I have ever had such fast windows (I mean fast Linux!)

Otherwise the situation is:
- compiz can now be enabled in: System | Preferences | Appearance | Visual Effects
- Applications | Other | Screens & Graphics
now shows "Driver: fglrx", but the "Location" box is still empty.