Video driver problem on upgrade to Hardy

Paolo paolo2 at taize.fr
Sun Apr 27 13:20:28 UTC 2008

NoOp wrote:
> sudo apt-get remove --purge xorg-driver-fglrx
>
> My _guess_ would be to go back to the Ubuntu ATI driver unless
> recommended elsewhere.

Yes. I have removed the proprietary fglrx driver.

> Try this: create a new user, reboot and log in as that user using the
> standard login. See if that works.

I have created "paolo2". A normal boot as this new user brings up a very slow
interface, just as for "paolo".

 >> Note: If all else fails, reboot and select "Recovery Mode" from the Grub
 >> menu. When that recovery menu comes up, select "xfix Try to fix the X
 >> server" and when it finishes, select "resume resume normal boot".

Just tried that. It also gives me a very slow interface.

- - -

One thing which has perhaps helped a little more (but still for only for
failsafe mode), is creating this link:
    sudo ln -s /usr/lib/dri /usr/X11R6/lib/modules/dri
It is since doing this (I think) that glxinfo now shows:
   direct rendering: Yes

- - - -

By the way, when I look at the choice of different sessions which Ubuntu gives,
there are (among others):
- xserver sripts
- Gnome
- failsafe Gnome

Both the first two give me a slow screen. What is the difference between the
first and the second?