subversion vs cvs [not a troll]

Vincent Trouilliez vincent.trouilliez at modulonet.fr
Sun Apr 27 09:13:45 UTC 2008

> At risk of starting a religious war... I wondered if there is a
> consensus amongst Ubuntu users which versioning software is preferred
> by most ubuntu users... cvs or subversion.

I had to chose a versioning system too, 3 years ago.
I asked many people, mostly professionals in my filed (electronic
enginnering), then people on this list.

What came out of it was:

- Subversion is the successor of CVS, and already widely in
use/accepted. So in the long term, it only makes sense to leanr
Subversion instead of CVS.

- It doesn't really matter which system you learn, because if you work
for a company, you will have to leanr the system THEY happen to use, so
you will have to adapt to it anyway.

Now, given that in your case, you are the only user of the version
control system, then you can use anything you want since nobody is
going to complain about it. However in own interest, it's obviously
best to chose something that many people use, so that you can get
good and fast support when you need it, and that has some life left into
it. So the logical choice would be Subversion.

Now you asked about Ubuntu in particular, which is a particular case.
Since the employer of the Ubuntu developers, develops its very own
versioning system that's part of Launchpad. So as I said above: if your
employer (in this case, Canonical), uses some system, you will have to
use it, like it or not.

So in short: subversion is a good starting point ;-)

HTH,

--
Vince