subversion vs cvs [not a troll]

reader at newsguy.com reader at newsguy.com
Sun Apr 27 03:22:37 UTC 2008

At risk of starting a religious war... I wondered if there is a
consensus amongst Ubuntu users which versioning software is preferred
by most ubuntu users... cvs or subversion.

I've been putting off learning subversion but since I'm now running a
new linux distribution (new to me anyway) I thought it might be a good
time to move to subversion from long usage of cvs.

I'm a pretty light user of cvs... and not very learned in it. I use it
to keep track of system files on several machines and to keep up with
my own programming projects which is generally a shell (korn for me)
script or perl.

I am very far from a software developer but some of the scripts are a
little involved and over the years I've accumulated a couple hundred.
Every now and than I think of a better way or an addition etc . . so
keeping versions has been worth while.

But mostly I use CVS for the system stuff.  Sendmail.mc, dozens of
things I've tried over the years, bind files I've experimented with
and kept versions of and all the system files one edits and tries
different things in over the years.

So with that level of usage in mind what would people recommend..
Make the jump to subversion or continue with cvs?