Installing freenx on Hardy

NoOp glgxg at sbcglobal.net
Sun Apr 27 00:38:59 UTC 2008

On 04/26/2008 09:27 AM, drew einhorn wrote:
> Following these instructions:
>
>      http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=620057
>
> They were written for gutsy but it says it should work for hardy, too.
>
> I'm stuck libxcomp3 and libxcomp2 conflict

I'm not sure about freenx as I've not tried it, but standard nx works
just fine out of the box for me on hardy. The only problem that I've had
is that the .Xauthority file in the home folder gets changed to root, so
I had to go back in and change it to user permissions.

If you'd like to give standard NX a try, uninstall anything that you may
have done for freenx (including the config files) and then:

sudo apt-get install --reinstall openssh-server

http://www.nomachine.com/download-package.php?Prod_Id=5
download all three: node, client, server

Follow the install instructions on that link - be sure you do it in
order: client, node, server:

  sudo dpkg -i nxclient_3.2.0-9_i386.deb
  sudo dpkg -i nxnode_3.2.0-5_i386.deb
  sudo dpkg -i nxserver_3.2.0-7_i386.deb