very basic about initial install

Pastor JW pastor_jw at the-inner-circle.org
Sat Apr 26 17:19:45 UTC 2008

On Saturday 26 April 2008 08:50:51 am reader at newsguy.com wrote:
> Installing Ubuntu 8.1.4 in a vmware as guest on Vista home Premium
>
> After a successfull install I'm not finding a way to get to a root
> terminal and use the text files to do setup chores.
>
> During install I was asked for a user name and passwd.  I used a
> familiar user I always use `reader' but once the install is finished
> and I reboot.... I'm not unable to get to a root terminal.
>
> I thought I might just boot the install disk and chroot to the new
> install but using fdisk on the install disk, it cannot find the
> virtual /dev/hda from the install...  Seem like a bad catch 22
> situation.
>
> How might I get to a root login?
>
> When I try to sudo I'm told my machine name won't resolve... when I
> try to create a network I told I don't have the privs.  Do actully
> have to redo the install and chose `root' when it asked for a user
> name?

what shell are you using?  Mine said the same things BUT I found "session" in
the upper left corner and it gave me a "new root shell" option which worked
fine!  I don't know why sudo or su would not work in the regular shell.  I
also don't like the way the newer distros keep you from signing on as root.
Having to go twice around the barn to get in the barn door has never made any
sense to me.

--
73 de N7PSV aka Pastor JW <n><   PDGA# 35276
http://the-inner-circle.org