How to config VIM on ubuntu8.04 server?

Markus Schönhaber ubuntu-users at list-post.mks-mail.de
Fri Apr 25 13:39:26 UTC 2008

Big Z wrote:

> I meet strange problem about vim configuration on ubuntu8.04 server.
> I use follow two cmd:
>
> sudo apt-get install vim
> sudo cp /usr/share/vim/vim71/vimrc_example.vim /etc/vim/vimrc
>
> when I used ubuntu7.04, it's all OK after above cmd.
> but now it's not work. VIM isn't using the configuration..no syntax...

Works fine for me.

> I also try to set ":syntax on" in vim window, it's not work.
> I also try to "cp /usr/share/vim/vim71/vimrc_example.vim  ~/.vimrc",
> it's not work and show error.

Since you didn't consider it necessary to tell us *what* errors
*exactly* you got when you did the different things you did, one can
only guess:
Maybe vim.tiny is still the default alternative for vim on your machine. Try
sudo update-alternatives --config vim
and select vim.basic.

> somebody said that must install vim-full package,

Nonsense.

> but the vim-full is
> so large and includes many trashy GUI packages to my server.

Yep. Installing the "vim" package, as you did, should get you the vim
you want.

Regards
  mks