Ubuntu 8.04 and Firefox 3 Beta 5

SYNass IT Ubuntu / Linux i-ubux at synass.net
Fri Apr 25 12:46:59 UTC 2008

Hi Mario
Thanks for your feedback !

> Other known issues
> Firefox 3
>       * Ubuntu 8.04 includes Firefox 3.0 beta 5. This was felt to be the
>         best option despite its pre-release status, in light of the
>         extended support lifetime of Ubuntu 8.04 and the importance and
>         complexity of Firefox security updates. Further release
>         candidates and the final release may be considered for
>         post-release updates.
> -----

Well, at the time when this decision was done it may have been best !
What we indeed have now shows exactly: It's truly not best !!
FF 3 may be quite OK but with its extensions NOT being up-to-date ...
... its a cripple !!!

> So, the final FF3 /will/ make it into 8.04, once it is done.
>
> Also, your bookmark thingy has a beta program in place, according to
> their blog. You might want to try and get the beta version for FF3.

Sure one day we may have FF5 with beta 3 ;-D

Well, you already pointed few times to be a beta tester ! ;-)
Well, the beta tester club seems to be very exclusive and exquisite !?
Well, I tried to apply and got some words to wait for an
invitation ! ;-(

Positive indeed was Mozilla's support:
It was quite prompt and helpful multiple times but not successful:

I am already testing with FF3 Beta 5 and FF2 on 8.04-RC and now LTS.

Like this 8.04 with FF3 plus FF2 is really no choice ...
... so 7.10 and FF2 has to do until time is really ready for
8.04 with a properly working FF3 and all its extensions.

Cheers, svobi