Ubuntu Pricing Concern

Felipe Figueiredo philsf79 at gmail.com
Thu Apr 24 16:41:37 UTC 2008

On Thu 24 Apr 2008 13:17:17 Ilya Vishnyakov wrote:
> Hello, Ubuntu Lovers!
>

> I noticed that the Ubuntu Release News Article notices: "Pricing and
> Availability: Ubuntu 8.04 LTS Desktop Edition is free of charge"
> (http://www.ubuntu.com/news/ubuntu-8.04-lts-desktop)
>

> What does Ubuntu want to say us by the term "Pricing"? Does this mean
> that there will be "commercial" releases in the future?

In the front page in http://www.ubuntu.com/ there is the following:

"The Ubuntu promise

    * Ubuntu will always be free of charge, including enterprise releases
and security updates.
    * Ubuntu comes with full commercial support from Canonical and
hundreds of companies around the world.
    * Ubuntu includes the very best translations and accessibility
infrastructure that the free software community has to offer.
    * Ubuntu CDs contain only free software applications; we encourage you
to use free and open source software, improve it and pass it on.

Read more about the Ubuntu philosophy[1]"

1. http://www.ubuntu.com/community/ubuntustory/philosophy

regards
FF