Ubuntu Pricing Concern

Owen Townend owen.townend at gmail.com
Thu Apr 24 17:06:59 UTC 2008

On 25/04/2008, Ilya Vishnyakov <ivishnyakov at 1stbasis.com> wrote:

> Hello, Ubuntu Lovers!
>

> I noticed that the Ubuntu Release News Article notices: "Pricing and Availability: Ubuntu 8.04 LTS Desktop Edition is free of charge" (http://www.ubuntu.com/news/ubuntu-8.04-lts-desktop)
>

> What does Ubuntu want to say us by the term "Pricing"? Does this mean that there will be "commercial" releases in the future?
>

> Please share your thoughts on this topic.
>

> Thank you in advance.
Hey,
  It is a little odd. There is this[1] on the frontpage www.ubuntu.com
  Given a frontpage promise that Ubuntu will never cost anything, it
doesn't make sense to have 'Pricing' included so prominantly along
with the specific 'Desktop Edition is free of charge'. Why not
reiterate the promise that _all_ editions are always going to be free
and avoid the confusion.

cheers,
Owen.

Footnotes
--
[1]

| The Ubuntu promise
|
| Ubuntu will always be free of charge, including enterprise releases
and security updates.

| Ubuntu comes with full commercial support from Canonical and
hundreds of companies around the world.

| Ubuntu includes the very best translations and accessibility
infrastructure that the free software community has to offer.

| Ubuntu CDs contain only free software applications; we encourage you
to use free and open source software, improve it | and pass it on.