Ubuntu 7.10 and DVD-RAM

Ioannis Vranos ivranos at freemail.gr
Wed Apr 23 18:23:55 UTC 2008

Ioannis Vranos wrote:
> Markus Schönhaber wrote:
>> Ioannis Vranos wrote:

>>> It automounts it under media/cdrom0 as read-only and it doesn't paste.
>> Is it really mounted ro (the output of mount will tell you) or does the
>> account you use simply have not enough rights to write to the filesystem?
>> If the latter, change the permissions on the mounted disk accordingly.
>

> john at john-desktop:~$ mount -v /media/cdrom0
> /dev/hda on /media/cdrom0 type udf (rw,nosuid,nodev,user=john)
> john at john-desktop:~$
>

> Can you understand from the above?

I ran Nautilus as a root and the copy & paste into the DVD-RAM disc
works perfectly.

I changed the permissions of /media/cdrom and /media/cdrom0 to full
permissions for my user account (john) recursively via Nautilus ran as
root, while the DVD-RAM disc was mounted, but after unmounting and
remounting, the permissions reported by right-clicking the DVD-RAM icon
on the user desktop remain for root.

In the mean-time the access permissions for /media/cdrom and
/media/cdrom0 remain for john (my user account).

Any ideas for enabling writing with my user account (apart from the
current solution of running Nautilus via sudo), would be welcome.