HTTP Proxy

Derek Broughton news at pointerstop.ca
Mon Apr 21 22:28:53 UTC 2008

Florian Diesch wrote:

> Derek Broughton <news at pointerstop.ca> wrote:
>
>> Florian Diesch wrote:

>>> If it first tries to fetch the page from the net that means you have
>>> to wait for the DNS timeout on every page when you don't have
>>> net. IMHO that's close to unusable.
>>
>> Huh?  That's what it should be doing anyway - and it _is_ unusable, now,
>> because what I get is a long wait for a DNS timeout, and then _no_ page
>> rather than the cache page.
>
> A proxy in offline mode doesn't need to try to connect the web server
> and so avoids waiting for the DNS timeout.

Which was why I was specifically looking for a proxy that was capable of
putting itself in offline mode when it couldn't find the Internet.

Unfortunately I might have left this too late - I just got a major upgrade
today that promises to eliminate most if not all of my outages.  We'll
see...
--
derek