Printer installation problems - thanks, but...

NoOp glgxg at sbcglobal.net
Sat Apr 19 19:02:35 UTC 2008

On 04/18/2008 04:53 AM, Peter Baily wrote:
> Thanks to
>> NoOp <glgxg at sbcglobal.net>
> for the response in V44, Issue 187, item 5.
>
> I have installed "Turboprint" (trial version) which now gives me good
> text printing.   Photo printing from GIMP is however awful!

http://www.turboprint.info/manual/turboprint-7.html#ss7.2

However I actually use Gutenprint as my printer is supported.

> I will try the Canon 360 driver.

You just need to set up your options properly.

> Xscan appears to recognise the scanner but does not drive it.
> Have I an I/O problem?

You need a sane driver.

http://www.sane-project.org/sane-mfgs.html#Z-CANON
  http://www.sane-project.org/man/sane-pixma.5.html
from Wittawat Yamwong:
http://home.arcor.de/wittawat/pixma/
  http://home.arcor.de/wittawat/pixma/#download
- follow the instuctions in the README.html for installation.
or, use:
http://home.arcor.de/wittawat/pixma/ubuntu-howto.html
[That's for Dapper, so modify for mp150-0.13.1.tar.bz2]