Install hangup....

NoOp glgxg at sbcglobal.net
Tue Apr 15 22:51:26 UTC 2008

On 04/15/2008 02:38 PM, Joseph wrote:

> After I sent this, I'd gone for a walk.  When I came back about a
> half hour later, it had indeed installed.  However, I'm back at the
> error point where I was before.
>
> It wouldn't boot from the HD, so I put the disk in and booted in the
> "Safe Mode" which took me to a list of choices.  I chose the
> "Recovery Mode" and here's the errors I get in the last couple of
> lines starting with the one that appears correct (lines are as seen
> on the screen):
>
> [   34.484528] RAMDISK:  Compressed image found at block 0 [
> 34.493544] invalid compressed format (err=1) [   34.494287] VFS:
> Cannot open root device "UUID=dc6c48c4-cc9b-4851-a668-a132c5 9bafbe"
> or unknown-block(0,0) [   34.494351] Please append a correct "root="
> boot option; here are the availab le partitions: [   34.494414]
> Kernel panic - not syncing: VFS: Unable to mount root fs on unknown
> wn-block(0,0) _
>

> OK...   everything is exactly as I see it on the screen.  I hope this
> too is detailed enough.
>
> Any ideas?

Joseph, I suggest that you use the Alternate CD to install instead.

If the install has problems finding the internet, it will prompt you to
try again, configure your interface, or configure later. Select the
configure later option (can't recall the exact wording, but it's obvious
enough) and complete the install from the CD. You can then sort out the
network issue after the install & download the updates accordingly.

Alternate CD is here:
http://releases.ubuntu.com/7.10/
  http://releases.ubuntu.com/7.10/ubuntu-7.10-alternate-i386.iso