Install hangup....

Joseph ubuntu at e-pops.org
Tue Apr 15 21:38:08 UTC 2008

David Vincent wrote:

> Joseph wrote:
>> I haven't gotten assistance yet for this problem, and by the insistence
>> of a few, I will try to be overly detailed in my situation.
>>
>> I have an E-machine C2881 on which I'm trying to put Ubuntu 7.1.  This
>> machine is [I believe] a Pentium III and 512 meg ram.  ALso, it has a
>> 10Gb HD.
>>
>> I insert the Ubuntu disk and restart the machine.  It comes to the main
>> screen with the "Examples" and "Install" on the desktop.  I clicked
>> "Install" and went through all the hoops and such.
>>
>> Then it begins "Installing system" and it gets to the "Configuring apt"
>> at 82% and stops.  The "Installing System" window says "Configuring apt"
>> in bold letters above the orange progress bar, and in italics below the
>> bar, it says "Scanning the mirror..."
>>
>> It's just sitting there (about 30 minutes) on this window, and doesn't
>> seem to be going anywhere, though the hard drive is buzzing and
>> vibrating.  It didn't take this long on the other computer.
>>
>> I trust that this is detailed enough.   <grin>
>
> Hi Joseph.
>
> I've got an "E-Monster 550" PIII-550 with 512mb RAM here, pretty sure I
> used the Alternate CD to install on there.  I've seen that scanning the
> mirror message take quite a while on some machines but that does seem
> excessive for a PIII.
>
> You might want to test your RAM as well.
>
> http://www.memtest86.com/ has a bootable iso you can burn for that purpose.
>
> - -d

After I sent this, I'd gone for a walk.  When I came back about a half hour later, it had indeed
installed.  However, I'm back at the error point where I was before.

It wouldn't boot from the HD, so I put the disk in and booted in the "Safe Mode" which took me to a
list of choices.  I chose the "Recovery Mode" and here's the errors I get in the last couple of
lines starting with the one that appears correct (lines are as seen on the screen):

	[   34.484528] RAMDISK:  Compressed image found at block 0
	[   34.493544] invalid compressed format (err=1)
	[   34.494287] VFS: Cannot open root device "UUID=dc6c48c4-cc9b-4851-a668-a132c5
9bafbe" or unknown-block(0,0)
	[   34.494351] Please append a correct "root=" boot option; here are the availab
le partitions:
	[   34.494414] Kernel panic - not syncing: VFS: Unable to mount root fs on unknown wn-block(0,0)
_

OK...   everything is exactly as I see it on the screen.  I hope this too is detailed enough.

Any ideas?

Joseph