Gutsy unstable

Karl Larsen k5di at zianet.com
Thu Apr 10 14:07:46 UTC 2008

Kenneth P. Turvey wrote:
> I upgraded from Feisty to Gutsy a few weeks ago and to be honest I've
> been a bit disappointed.  Feisty seems to have had pretty much everything
> that Gutsy does and it was more stable than Gutsy.
>
> Gutsy dies for me every few days.  It seems to be related to network
> use.  If I have Azureus spinning around doing uploading and downloading
> then my system will probably only continue running for maybe 24 hours.
>
> Eventually the wireless network connection is dropped and everything else
> quits working.  Most programs cannot be started, some cannot be killed.
> If you are lucky enough to have a terminal running and able to run "ps"
> you find that there are numerous zombie processes.  If you kill X that
> doesn't help.  Shutting down doesn't bring the system all the way down,
> and results in you having to do a hard reset...  all of this is assuming
> you can bring up the shutdown dialog.
>
> I've been watching for messages on this issue and I haven't seen any.
> There don't seem to be any related updates coming across the wire.  Am I
> the only one experiencing these problems with Gutsy?
>
> Thanks.

    I run Gutsy and have the same problems and some that are different.
It seems most of the time it comes up fine and stays up, but if I let it
sit for a few hours all the things I left running are minimized! Easy to
fix but odd.

    I have a nVidia computer and it is the pits. Yesterday I was looking
at some pictures and all of a sudden the screen went to an odd pattern
of dashes and the keyboard and mouse do not work. Have to turn off the
computer and re-start.

    Every 3rd turn off doesn't work. It comes down to some level and
dies there. But the computer is still running :-)
Fix this with holding the off button.

Karl

--

	Karl F. Larsen, AKA K5DI