Firefox - browse: files as Images [Linux specific]

H.S.Rai hardeep.rai at
Thu Apr 10 07:33:49 UTC 2008

This problem is OS specific. On M$window we can view it as Icons, but
how to have similar things on Linux.

Some relevant info from other mailing list is given below signature.

On Mon, Apr 7, 2008 at 4:46 PM, H. S. Rai <hardeep.rai at> wrote:
> When I need to upload a image file, on pressing "browse" from any
>  web-page, the file browser shows files as list (text name of files),
>  there is no option to change view type from list to icon or images. Is
>  there any what to view such files names as icon inplace of names of
>  files.

> or any other webpage. When I click on "Browse" button from any above
> mentioned webpage using Firefox, a new window opens up named "File
> Upload". This show local files as list (name of files), if I can view
> graphic files (jpeg, png) as thumbnail, then selection of image is
> quite easy. This is there in Internet explorer (with option see as
> List or Icon). Knoqueror have feature of "preview", if you select a
> file, its preview (thumbnail) is displayed The option I want similar
> to available in file browser "Nautilus" with option as view as Icons
> or List.
> I hope question is now more clearer.
> Thanks for reply,
When the "File Upload" window opens, there are a set of icons to the
right of the "Look in:" window.  The one farthest to the right has a
little down pointing arrowhead.  Click on that and you will get the
option to change the view.  The bottom option is thumbnails.  Is that
what you are looking for?  It's a Windows function, BTW, rather than a
Firefox function.
Dave Pyles